David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium / The Hill
David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium is recognized as the first stadium built on a college campus west of the Mississippi River. Located at the north base of Mount Oread at 11th and Maine streets, it has a capacity of 50,071.
Family and guests will line the sidewalks from Memorial Drive to Memorial Stadium to watch graduates process before being seated for the program.
Limited concessions will be available for sale to guests.
The FAA currently restricts the use of aircraft, including the flying of unmanned drones, within three miles of Memorial Stadium from one hour before until one hour after the conclusion of the Commencement program. (9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
There are three elevators on the west side of the stadium at street level and one elevator on the east side of the stadium. Elevators run slowly on Commencement day, and guests are encouraged to use the stairs whenever possible.
Memorial Stadium will open at 9 a.m. Tickets are NOT required for the Commencement ceremony, and there is no limit on how many guests may attend. (SEATING section below)
Guests are welcome to line the sidewalks to watch their graduates walk the Hill. Please be courteous of those around you and do not stand on the sidewalks to disrupt the graduate procession. Guests choosing to cross from one side to the other should follow marshal or security instructions.
MEDICAL / EMERGENCY
Paramedics and an ambulance will be available beginning at 9 a.m. The medical aid station is in the southeast corner of the stadium, in the inner concourse at Section 23.
Fire and medical units will be in the stands on the east and west sides of the stadium and in the north bowl.
PERMITTED / PROHIBITED ITEMS
- Purses and bags
- Seat backs, foam seat pads or blankets
- Cell phones and pagers
- Cameras (no selfie sticks or tri-pods)
- Rain gear/ponchos/umbrellas
- Strollers are allowed but must be parked on the concourse during the ceremony at your own risk
Aisles and walkways leading to and inside the seating area must remain clear of obstacles.
- Alcohol – consumption of all alcoholic and cereal malt beverages on campus is strictly prohibited
- Animals (except service animals for persons with disabilities)
- Aerosol and spray cans
- Banners/Flags on metal/wooden poles, rods or sticks
- Bikes / wagons
- Glass bottles, metal cans, and coolers (except for guests with special medical or dietary needs)
- Artificial noise makers, air horns, whistles, boom boxes, or megaphones that create a nuisance or disturbance
- Laser pointers
- Objects that obstruct another person's view of the ceremony (Use of umbrellas is not restricted, but those who use an umbrella are asked to be considerate of those around and behind them.)
- Projectiles (beach balls, Frisbees, paper airplanes, etc.)
- Remote controlled devices of any kind (e.g. cars, drones)
- Weapons - The open carry of firearms and the possession of explosives and fireworks is prohibited on the campus of the University of Kansas
Men’s and women’s restrooms are located throughout the lower level east and west concourses and on the third level. All third-level restrooms are equipped with diaper-changing stations.
Accessible restrooms are located on the lower level east and west concourses accessible by stadium elevators.
Family restrooms (two each concourse) are located on the lower-level east and west concourses. All family restrooms are equipped with diaper-changing stations.
Seating is open on a first-come/first-served basis. There are no reserved seating areas other than for graduates in the west side area (Sections 1 to 8)
Guests may sit beind the graduates in the upper level of sections 1 through 8 on the west side, or facing the graduates in sections 20 through 25 on the east side.
Guests may bring seat backs or cushions to increase the comfort of bench seating.
NO seating or access to the field is available during the ceremony.
Seating for guests with limited mobility and those who must remain in wheelchairs is available in these locations:
- West side - Level 3; Sections 1, 3, and 9 (Accessible by elevator)
- East side - Level 3; Sections 22, 24, and 26 (Accessible by elevator)
Ground level and Level 1 elevators provide access to Level 3 accessible seating areas.
Ushers can assist with wheelchairs from gates to elevator entrances. It is highly recommended that guests requiring wheelchairs for the duration of the ceremony should arrange to bring their own.
SMOKING & TOBACCO POLICY
In accordance with University of Kansas policy, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) and tobacco use is not allowed. No smoking or tobacco use is permitted within 20 feet of any part of the stadium (fence, gates, doors, etc.)
Tailgating is not allowed Commencement weekend in any KU parking lot and/or garage.
TRANSPORT OF GUESTS
A limited number of ushers with wheelchairs will be available to transport guests from the drop off area near Gate 26 to the elevators (east side) and the drop off area near Gate 3-5 to the elevators (west side).
The university is unable to provide wheelchairs for individual use. Guests requiring wheelchairs for the duration of a ceremony should plan on making their own accommodations for the equipment prior to arriving on campus.